Consult An Attorney If Your Child Has Been Diagnosed With Cerebral Palsy

If your child has recently been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, you are likely reeling from shock and anxiety. You may benefit from consulting a personal injury attorney to evaluate whether you have a medical malpractice case that deserves financial compensation. Cerebral palsy can result from negligence or mistakes made during birth or during the infant's care at the medical facility. 

Possible Causes

The medical center may have already confirmed that certain errors were made that could have resulted in your child's cerebral palsy. On the other hand, you may only have a strong suspicion at this point. Some possible scenarios include the baby not obtaining enough oxygen during or shortly after birth, the doctor delaying a cesarean section, or the medical staff not recognizing seizures occurring soon after birth. 

Most cerebral palsy cases are not due to malpractice, but when malpractice does occur, lack of oxygen is a common issue. This can happen if the umbilical cord wraps around the infant's neck, the baby does not move through the birth canal rapidly enough, the placenta separates from the uterine wall, the baby does not have a strong enough heartbeat after birth, and several other reasons. 

Information the Lawyer Looks For

Once you sign a release so the attorney can acquire your medical records, he or she will begin learning whether the medical staff identified and responded to problems quickly and effectively. The law firm will conduct its own investigation as to factors such as:

  • how long it took to transfer the baby to neonatal intensive care
  • whether the newborn was evaluated by a specialist
  • the types of diagnostics performed when the baby was in utero or shortly after birth
  • whether the infant received oxygen and whether there was a delay in this treatment
  • how long the mother was in labor before a C-section was performed
  • evidence that a C-section should have been done sooner
  • whether the doctor delivered the baby with a vacuum extractor or forceps

Do You Have a Case?

Consult a personal injury lawyer to evaluate your circumstances. There typically is no charge for the first appointment. Bring the medical records you have access to and any notes you have made about the situation. If medical negligence or errors did cause your child's condition, you deserve compensation. Even when the condition is relatively minor, it affects the person throughout their lifetime. Ongoing therapy may be necessary to help the child progress physically and mentally, and eventually to live as independently as possible. For more information about malpractice cases, contact a company such as Law Offices of Jason A. Rodenbo.